Statistics reveal that road accidents are the leading causes of death and they account for 3 percent of all deaths across the world. This startling figure will leave you shocked and surprised if you are a safe driver. In the eventuality of an accident, you can seek help from auto accident lawyers at Alabama law firm. You can look up for articles on www.attorneys.com, and find legal help on all issues concerning vehicle accidents.
Things To Do At A Road Accident Scene:
Do Not Flee
The first reaction in a road accident is to flee from the scene of the accident. Whether it is a minor scratch or a major mishap, you must stay put at the location. You can be booked under the Road Traffic Act if you are found going against the law.
Switch off the car engine and place signboards or cone flares to alert other passersby about the disaster.
Call The Police
If you or anyone has been injured in the accident, immediately dial 999 and call the ambulance. If you suspect there has been foul play involved, report the matter to a police officer. Even if no one has suffered injuries, you must call the police for documenting the accident.
Click photos of the accident scene to submit as proof to the officials. Take photos of the vehicles from all angles, the weather conditions, the license plate, and surrounding area. Most of the latest smartphones are sufficient to take good quality photos.
Move Your Car To Safety
Park your vehicle on one side of the road to enable smooth flow of traffic. Switch on the parking lights and cordon off the area.
You might be asked to give a first-person account of the accident. To avoid fumbling on the important facts, write down or record information of the crime scene. Before the police arrive, collect details like the name, contact details, insurance name and policy number of the other driver.
If there were any witnesses to the accident, you could write down their names and contact details.
While an accident is bound to cause a disturbance, try to stay calm and alert. Do not take responsibility for the accident or get into a discussion with the other party. Be wary of being coaxed into signing papers or documents, unless the cops ask for it.
Things You Should Do After Leaving The Scene
· After the police arrive and complete the formalities, you have to take further steps to protect your rights.
· Get in touch with your insurance company and inform them about the accident. You can submit all relevant details and proof to speed up the process. If you fail to inform the insurance company within a given time frame, you lose the chance of claiming the money.
· Visit the concerned police station and get a copy of the police report.
· Seek legal help from an auto accident lawyer, so you get full compensation for the injuries you suffered.
· Visit a physician if you have injuries on your body. Most of the times the pain surfaces after a few days. It is best to get examined to rule out any fatal damages.